Looking for some fun activities to do with your kids this summer? I’ve enjoyed 22 summers with kids (and counting!), so I certainly have a few ideas to share! Stay tuned during the next few weeks as we provide all kinds of suggestions for making your summer with your kids meaningful. (Subscribe here so you won’t miss out!) Today’s idea: Have a Reading Party!
This idea will last you all summer long! Ready to get started? (We’ve got a packet of free printables for you – see below!)
At our house, we’ve just hung up, put away, and close the door on all of our “assigned reading” for the school year. Who cares that we actually loved almost every book we read this year? Summer is coming and that means we can read…
Just For Fun.
Why does it feel different to read in the summer compared to reading during the school year? I have no idea. There’s just something about the freedom of it all, with its “I can read whatever I want and walk leisurely down all the library aisles while inhaling all the air-conditioned book smells…”
We always check out huge stacks. We can sit in the sun and read. Or we can sit in the air conditioning and read. We might lay on the trampoline and read. I will definitely sip iced coffee and read. The kids can drink sweet tea and read. Ahhhh, summer reading, how I love you.
~~~ Ooooh! I must pause a moment and share some wonderful Iced Coffee and Sweet Tea recipes
for these wonderful sipping and reading occasions! ~~~~~
Summer Perfect Coffee Treats
- Cold Brew Coffee – Make this, then add cream or other favorite coffee add-ins!
- Homemade Chocolate Frappe – This is incredible and healthy at the same time!
- Low Sugar Coffee Milkshake – It’s a no-guilt version!
- Chocolate Whipped Cream for your Coffee – So good, you just might shed a tear.
Sweet Tea anyone?
Here are some super simple fruity tea options!
Tell me about this Summer Reading Party!
Well, you can make this whatever you want for your family, but to get you motivated…
First, we have a huge packet of free printables for every family who signs up for our Summer Reading Party. Use these however you wish – for incentives for your kids, for activities for your kids, for a challenge for everyone in your family – however you want. They are free for you and you can use them in whatever ways you like!
My Favorite Party Favor
Included in this printables packet is a suggested Bible reading check-list for you to use with your family. Read these passages with your family during breakfast. Or read them at night before bed. Or read them at whatever time of the day works best for you. Because reading the Bible with your family is more important than any other reading you can do.
This Summer Bible Reading Guide is included in the Summer Reading Printables Packet. Get yours here.
Read as a Family
A few summers ago, after our oldest boys headed to counsel at church camp, I picked All of a Kind Family off our shelf and read through it with Malachi during the hottest parts of the day. We finished that one and ran to the library to get the next in the series. We loved the books so much we read every book in the series and cried at the end because the series had ended. (To be fair, Malachi didn’t actually cry. I did though, because I always cry at the end of a good book. You already know this about me.)
Soon, I’ll get to read that series to our Bonus Boy! Ah, the love of books just keeps on keeping on!
Here’s another favorite series:
I definitely cried at the end of this one.
Then we plowed through the entire series.
It’s a favorite for sure!
How about a HUGE list of great book ideas for everyone in the family?
We can’t very well encourage you to read without giving you suggestions of books to check out! Here’s a list my friend Kim help me put together. It’s fantastic!
Books for Infants and Toddlers
- I Spy Board Books
- Goodnight Moon
- Runaway Bunny
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar (and other books by Eric Carle)
- That’s Not My…series from UsBorne (some of which are available on Amazon)
- Sandra Boynton’s Greatest Hits
- DK Touch and Feel Series
Books for Preschoolers
- Mouse Paint
- Little Pink Pup
- Richard Scarry Collection
- Elephant & Piggie Collection
- Knuffle Bunny Series
- Lego City Book Set
- Lift the Flap Bible Story Books from Reader’s Digest
- Little Golden Book Collection
Books for Early Elementary Kids
- Kiss the Cow
- The “I’m” Book Series by Kate and Jim McMullan
- Mr. Putney’s Quacking Dog
- Bad Case of Stripes
- Uff Da!
- Pinkalicious Storybook Series
- Gigi Book Series
- Little Bear Series
- Frog and Toad Book Collection
- Dr. Seuss Book Collection
- Make Way for Ducklings
- Madeline Book Collection
- Curious George Book Collection
- Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel
- Click, Clack Moo Book Series
- Henry and Mudge Book Series
- Skippyjon Jones Book Collection
- Amelia Bedelia Book Series
- Fly Guy Book Series
- Diary of a Worm Book Series
- I Spy Books
- Where’s Waldo Book Collection
- Otis the Tractor Book Series
- Daddy, Could I Have an Elephant
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
- Lego Beginning Readers
Books for Later Elementary Kids
- Bill Peet Books
- Magic Tree House Book Series
- Magic School Bus Book Series
- Box Car Children Book Series
- Encyclopedia Brown Book Series
- American Girl Book Series
- Tales of Young Americans Book Series
- “I Survived” Book Series
- Sarah Plain and Tall Book Series
- Chicken Squad Book Series
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- Clyde Robert Bulla Books
- Books by Andrew Clements
Books for Middle School/High Schoolers
- Books by Cynthia Voigt
- Mysterious Benedict Society Book Series
- Penderwicks Book Series
- Storm Runners Book Series
- 39 Clues Book Series
- Secret Cipher Book Series
- LOST (involves magic and wizardry)
- Anne of Green Gables Book Series
- Cooper Kids Book Series
- Mandie Book Series
- Grandma’s Attic Book Series
Books that make great family read-alouds
Any of the above books are great for reading aloud as well. In addition, I’ve found that if my kids have a hard time getting into a book or a series, I start out reading it to them and they take it from there!
- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
- Charlotte’s Web
- All of a Kind Family Book Series
- Little House of the Prairie Book Series
- Little Britches (Ralph Moody) Book Series
- Swiss Family Robinson
- Chronicles of Narnia Book Series
Join our Summer Reading Party!
We want to encourage the beauty of family reading this summer!
Malachi and I look back on the summer of reading All of a Kind Family series as if it was the summer of perfection. All my boys and I can look back with joy on summers of reading together back in the days they were littler (and actually home). On the days they are home this summer, we will definitely spend time reading. I just got a few books delivered a few days ago that the boys had requested. Perfect timing!
Let’s all do this together and make great memories with our families!
Psst! Did you see our other Summer Kid Activity idea? Make Donuts! Get the details here. :)