Monster Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – come and get ’em!
When I saw the original recipe for these bars here, what really jumped out at me was the “no flour” thing. Avoiding flour is always a nice option in recipes. I also noticed the “mini m&m” thing but decided that while those are fun and tasty, they are on the naughty list and not required to make these cookie bars good. Then I wondered if I could cut back on the 2 cups of sugar and the amount of chocolate chips.
Do I know how to ruin a good recipe, or what?
Hey. I didn’t ruin a thing. I simply cut back on the sugar and cut out the corn syrup and 10 different food dyes. The cookie bars are still delicious, so says my family and several other people I have served these to who didn’t even know I’d healthified this recipe. It probably helps that these bars still have plenty of sugar in them.
The oats and lack of flour create a really fun, chewy bar. I say, make these then wrap them individually and freeze them to grab out for lunch boxes or on-the-go snacks. This makes 24 good sized bars.
(No Flour) Monster Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 cup sucanat or brown sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1½ cups creamy natural peanut butter (here's how to make it yourself)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups quick oats
- 2½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Cream sugar, butter, and peanut butter together until smooth.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and baking soda and mix well.
- Stir in oats until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into a cookie sheet lined by parchment paper.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Makes 24-36 cookie bars, depending on how large you cut them.
Make these gluten free by using GF oats. Learn to make your own Quick Oats here.
Enjoy this very easy treat!