On a day when there’s lots of activity (um…that would be every day), it’s so nice to have a meal like Cheesy Beef and Rice prepared in the freezer ready to pull out and bake. Quickly toss a salad and warm up a veggie, and your meal is made!
Over the next several weeks, while I continue to post new breakfast ideas, and great ways to eat lots of fruits and veggies – I’ll also be posting some great recipes that you can make up ahead of time and put into the freezer to have on hand for busy evenings.
To start us off, here’s a super easy recipe to put together. There’s nothing fancy about this dish, but it’s tasty just the same. This Cheesy Beef and Rice has been a long time family favorite of ours!
Cheesy Beef and Rice
- 1½ cups long grain brown rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 Tablespoons minced onion, or fresh chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt, to taste
- 1½ cups sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil three cups of water.
- Stir in rice.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic powder.
- Mix with rice and salt well.
- Stir in sour cream and milk.
- Spread into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover well and freeze.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 45 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Or, place frozen casserole, covered with foil, into a cold oven.
- Turn oven on to 250°, baking for about 2 hours or until casserole is heated through and through.
I hope you’ll keep coming back to read more recipes of dishes that you can make ahead of time and put into the freezer! In the meantime, I encourage you to look through all of the Make-Ahead Meals we’ve shared through the years. So much time saved!