I’m almost as passionate about eating a healthy breakfast as I am about eating lots of butter. They’re both super important. Therefore…feel free to spread butter all over your breakfast. Oh yeah.
But wait. You don’t have time to cook a healthy breakfast every morning? Me neither. I mean, if I felt like losing an hour of sleep, skipping my much needed Bible time, foregoing my morning work-out, or beginning my day by being glued to a griddle while flipping countless pancakes – I could make the time to cook a healthy, hearty breakfast every morning. But well…I don’t.
That’s what scares us away from making a healthy breakfast isn’t it? Time. Effort. School. Work. Schedules. I get it. I’m with ya. I have plenty of other things to do in the morning and I like sleeping. I don’t like the stress of trying to get everyone going in the morning while trying to keep breakfast from burning on the stove. So does that mean we take the easy way out and buy boxed, convenience foods for breakfast? Sure, if you want to feel like junk all day and start your kids’ school day off with a big, blurry bang that ends in a sugar crash by morning recess. But what if there is a way to have a nourishing breakfast without the morning stress?
Oh yes. There is definitely a way. I am loving this real food reality which includes a hearty, healthy, no brainer breakfast each morning.
I do everything possible to make healthy breakfast foods ahead of time so that all I have to do in the morning to get a nourishing breakfast on the table is open a container. Or boil water. Or maybe, just maybe, I’ll “go to the trouble” of scrambling or frying eggs, which takes about five minutes. (Or better yet, I assign that task to one of my boys. Hurray for kids who are old enough to use a stove!)
How do I put a healthy breakfast on the table without much effort each morning?
- I make breakfast the night before. Or…
- I make breakfast foods for the freezer. Or…
- I set out the Homemade Instant Oatmeal and let the kids make a bowl when they get up.
Seriously, making a healthy breakfast is not hard. We do not have to resort to boxed food. It’s just a matter of planning ahead and focusing on food that is real and nourishing. Real food – it is amazing.
Here are some of my favorite healthy, make-ahead breakfast ideas:
- Prepare an Easy Breakfast Casserole and simply take it out of the fridge and bake it in the morning.
- Make Simple Whole Wheat Pancakes or Whole Wheat Waffles, allow them to cool, freeze them, then toast them to warm them up for a convenient breakfast just like an Eggo Waffle…except cheaper and healthier.
- Mix up and roll out biscuits, freezing them for a quick breakfast.
- Cook bacon or Turkey Sausage, then simply reheat in the morning or cook it up with some eggs.
- Throw yogurt and frozen fruit into the blender for a smoothie.
- Make muffin batter and put it in the freezer for fast, fresh muffins in the morning (one of my favorite freezer cooking tips!).
- Bake breakfast bars in the evening before closing up the kitchen.
- Make a batch of Easy Granola, Dark Chocolate Almond Granola, or Grape Nuts Cereal to grab and eat in the morning.
And always, always serve fruit with breakfast. That’s the healthiest convenience food there is. :)
As soon as we start making some healthy foods ahead of time, and stop assuming that eating healthy food is difficult, we’ll be well on our way to saving money and keeping our lives so much simpler in the kitchen! Plus, when we begin our day with a nourishing breakfast, we get our body off to a great start – setting the pace for a great day ahead.
Need some easy, healthy breakfast inspiration? We have a freebie for you!
To help us all along in this effort, I created a downloadable chart with 31 Days of Real Food Breakfast Ideas. It is internet linked, so all you have to do is click to find the recipe referred to on the chart.
There you go – 31 healthy, make-ahead, family friendly, money-saving, real food breakfast ideas!
What are your favorite ways to get a healthy breakfast on the table quickly in the morning?