Save money and use real food ingredients when you make Onion Soup Mix!
So far in this Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Challenge, we’ve come up with recipes for Homemade Tator Tots, Healthier Chocolate Milk and Teriyaki Sauce. I attempted a recipe for corn tortillas and while they tasted pretty good…they were NOT easy to make, they fell apart and looked ugly. I’m going to keep working on that one until I come up with a corn tortilla recipe that doesn’t take the whole afternoon to make. :)
This new recipe in The Challenge was super easy to put together! Vicki, one of our readers, sent me an Onion Soup Mix recipe to try and WOW is it simple! I tweaked it a teeny tiny bit, but really, this recipe is more Vicki’s than mine.
What I love about this recipe is that I didn’t have to look high and low for the ingredients. Many onion soup recipes I found call for some sort of bouillon. Almost always, bouillon has MSG. There are MSG free bouillon varieties out there, but what if they aren’t easily accessible to you? And so…I was very happy to see this recipe that contained just dried herbs and spices!
Onion Soup Mix
- ⅔ cup dried, minced onion
- 3 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (optional)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sucanat (or sugar if you prefer)
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a jar, then give the jar a good shake.
- I'd recommend shaking the jar to mix the ingredients well before each use.
- Use 4 Tablespoons Onion Soup Mix in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix. (I actually found that 2 Tablespoons was plenty in a beef stew recipe I tried.)
- Store this in a dry, cool place.
I used the Onion Soup Mix in this simple, one dish stew and YUM!
I’ll be sharing the recipe eventually!
And with that…I have to ask:
SO many of you requested this recipe that I’m guessing you all must have tons of wonderful ways of using Onion Soup Mix? I would LOVE for you to share what you do with this mix!!! I have exactly two recipes that call for Onion Soup Mix . I’m so excited to use this mix in those recipes because I’ve not made them for years. But what else??? What do you make with Onion Soup Mix??