A few weeks ago, Josette asked if anyone had a healthier, homemade corn dog recipe. Yippee! A recipe challenge. I love me a recipe challenge.
And – all my healthy eating talk aside – I love me a good hot dog. Oh, how I wish I didn’t. The icky ones that are made from 14 different kinds of animal leftovers? I don’t love me that kind of hot dog. A big juicy beef hot dog? I could eat three. (Not that I do of course…)
I’ve found some hot dogs from Azure Standard made by Shelton that are pretty good. They are made with chicken, don’t have any preservatives, etc. If you have access to those, give them a try. We like them just fine.
And – hot dog on a stick with yummy cornbread fried all around it? Hello. I am my kids’ favorite mom on days I make these.
Homemade Healthier Corn Dogs
- 10 hot dogs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup cornmeal
- 2 T. honey
- 1½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. dry mustard
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 T. oil
- Oil for frying (I use Palm Shortening)
- 10 lollipop sticks
- Whisk together all ingredients (okay, except for the hot dogs of course...and the oil for frying...and the lollipop sticks).
- Place one hot dog on each stick. (I find lollipop sticks in the cake decorating section at Walmart.)
- For frying the corn dogs...you can immerse them in hot oil if you have a Fry Daddy or something similar. I don't have one, plus I'd rather not use that much oil. Here's what I do:
- Heat a small amount of oil in your electric skillet.
- Holding onto the stick "roll" the hot dog around in the cornmeal batter to coat.
- Place the corn dog down onto the hot oil.
- Allow the corn dog to cook quite well on one side before attempting to turn it so that the batter won't pull off.
- Turn as necessary to cook on all sides.
My corndogs don’t turn out very lovely. They’re sort of triangular in shape. Ah, but they taste delicious!
Wait until you hear THIS idea. When Jennifer heard that I was going to conduct a corn dog experiment…she gave me this idea!!! Thanks Jennifer!
These Corn Dog Muffins are a perfect way to avoid the mess of frying your corn dogs and finding lollipop sticks, etc. I LOVE this!
Corn Dog Muffins
This recipe for cornbread, doubled
8 hot dogs
24 muffin papers to line muffin pans.
Mix up the cornbread. Cut hot dogs into thirds. Scoop cornbread batter into the paper lined muffin cups. Place 1/3 hot dog into each muffin.
Bake at 400 ° until golden brown. Serve right away.
Look! You can’t even tell there’s a hot dog in those muffins! You could surprise your kids with these! They’ll think they are only having a cornbread muffin for lunch. Then tada! There’s a hot dog inside!
The best thing about these Corn Dog Muffins is that they freeze well!!! Just thaw and reheat in the oven for a few minutes before serving!
How’s that for an easy lunch idea that you can make ahead of time?!
(Click on our Make Ahead Meals link for more fun ideas of kid friendly, healthy recipes that you can make ahead of time.)