This Calico Beans recipe packs a punch when it comes to protein. In my household of men, this is much appreciated. Oh, who am I kidding? I may be the only girl in my household, but give me a bowl of beans, beef, and bacon, and I’m a happy camper. I love me a high protein meal! If all the boys in the house enjoy it too, well now, that’s just a huge perk. :)
Add some chopped sweet green peppers, or even a few chunks of spicy peppers to this recipe if your family enjoys a little “kick”.
- 8 ounces turkey bacon, cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion (or 4 Tablespoons minced onion)
- ¼ cup sucanat
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 - 15 ounce cans baked beans (I use Eden Organics, full of healthy ingredients)
- 1 - 15 ounce can kidney beans
- ¾ cup ketchup (I recommend homemade ketchup or an organic variety that does not contain high fructose corn syrup)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar (I use either red wine or balsamic)
- In a skillet, brown bacon, ground beef, and onions together.
- Drain and dump into a crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring until mixed.
- Cover and cook on low for six hours or on high for three hours.
- Or, skip the crock pot and bake this in a covered casserole dish at 350° for an hour.
Of course, you’ll save even more money if you soak and cook your own beans. Read more about this process here.
I know everyone is different when it comes to craving meat and high protein meals. Are you like me and feel like you could eat a half a cow sometimes? Or are you content with a small bowl of beans and the occasional peanut?
Interested in more Crock Pot recipes? You’ll find several to look through here!