You’ll want to make this stir fry recipe a part of your weekly menu plan!
It is a fact that earlier in the summer, my oldest son requested Ramen Noodles for his 14th birthday lunch. Bleh. I obliged because it was his birthday and because I could afford the 17¢ required to purchase the desired package of what can’t possibly be food since it only costs 17¢. Asa completely understands why we don’t normally eat MSG covered cardboard – but doggonit – he likes the stuff and it was a birthday treat.
Our family used to make a great stir fry dish using Ramen Noodles “back in the day” before we began our healthy eating journey. Asa has fond memories of that dish and was actually the inspiration behind this new version. One day he simply said, “Mom – don’t you think you could just use spaghetti noodles and soy sauce instead of ramen noodles and make the Stir Fry taste the way it used to taste?” Huh, well now why didn’t I think of that?
We tried it and WOW. We all devoured it (which isn’t entirely shocking because “devour” is typically what we do around our table three or more times each day). This dish is great for several reasons:
- It is very easy to make.
- It is completely healthy.
- You can make it a variety of ways, depending on which vegetables your family likes and has on hand.
- You can make it a meatless dish or add chicken to make it a complete meal!
Easy Noodle Stir Fry
- 2-4 cups fresh or frozen veggies of your choice (broccoli, carrots, peas, peppers, corn, zucchini, squash, etc.)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove minced fresh garlic or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 ounces whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- Soy sauce (to taste)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- In a skillet, toss vegetables, garlic and olive oil together - cooking on medium heat until veggies are tender.
- In the meantime, boil the spaghetti noodles in water and drain.
- Stir cooked veggies and noodles together.
- Add soy sauce, stirring until the noodles are barely coated.
- Add sea salt (and more soy sauce) if desired.
What is your relationship with Ramen Noodles? Love ’em? Hate ’em? Do you know what’s in ’em? You don’t want to know. I highly recommend switching to whole grain pastas and skipping any MSG filled sauces and flavorings as part of your Funky Fresh Kitchen challenge. You can do it! Look how tasty this dish is without any artificial anything!