I used to think that making a Breakfast Casserole was a big deal, difficult, complicated and tricky. It seems that the recipes I found called for ingredients I never had and they always overwhelmed me.
One day a few weeks ago, I had an abundance of eggs and a few leftover ingredients from other meals so I decided to experiment. What do you know? You can build an egg casserole with just about anything. Quickly. Inexpensively. Without difficulty. I am very excited.
Here’s the beauty of this recipe: You can build your breakfast casserole however you want. This recipe has a few “base ingredients”, then you stir in whatever “add ins” you want…then you top it with cheese…then you bake it. It doesn’t get much easier than that! (And did I mention that this recipe is naturally Gluten Free?!)
Easy Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use white cheddar, but you can use whatever cheese you want!)
- Begin your casserole by whisking together the eggs, cream and salt.
- Pour the ingredients into a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle in any "add in" ingredients you wish.
- Stir them around with a fork.
- Top casserole with cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the middle doesn't jiggle.
Add In options:
Add anywhere from 1/2 cup to 2 cups of any of these “add ins”. You can use a different sized casserole dish, you’ll just need to adjust the bake time. The thicker your casserole, the longer it will take to bake.
Want to make this ahead of time and freeze it? I do it all the time, making for a super easy breakfast!
Prepare the casserole as directed, then freeze unbaked. Place frozen casserole in the fridge overnight. Bake the following morning as directed, adding a few additional minutes if necessary.