We finished our “scheduled” schooling right about the end of April. In the weeks since we finished, I’ve been pretty laid back about having any kind of routine. I think it’s nice after having nine months of order to kick back and just do whatever, whenever.
The weather has been absolutely gorgeous. We sleep in…we play outside…we work in the garden…
But somehow, the lack of routine doesn’t set well with me after a few weeks. I don’t feel quite as productive. I don’t want the boys to get into a “what? you want me to actually do a chore?” mode. I don’t want the summer to go by and find that we didn’t really accomplish anything.
I need a schedule. I need some routine. I need productiveness. So, pardon me while I kind of think out loud here as I try to create some sort of organization for our summertime. It may not be pretty. Feel free to tune me out.
Projects I want to get done (with the boys help) this summer:
- Clean out the house and have a yard sale. (Guard your favorite action figures carefully…I’m in a “get rid of stuff” mood.)
- Clean up our storage room.
- Organize books in the school room.
- Paint the bathroom trim. (oh, I am so not looking forward to this one…)
- Paint our porch (?) (four boys with paint brushes? I don’t know)
- Teach Malachi to write his name. (more on this another time)
Projects I’m working on for Heavenly Homemakers:
- Gardening and Canning ebook (really, really want to have this one finished soon…I’m pretty sure it’s going to happen) :)
- Early Learners curriculum/ebook (really, really want to have this one finished soon…don’t think it’s going to happen) :(
- Oh so many more ebooks started and half finished
- Continue with Eat More Fruits and Veggies Challenge
- Catch up on emails and answering questions (does this ever really happen? That’s okay, bring on the emails!)
Stuff we need to work on every day:
- Keep up with the garden. (I won’t let the weeds get out of control…I won’t let the weeds get out of control..I won’t let the weeds…..)
- Keep up with the housework.
- Read the Bible and work on memory work.
Activities we can be involved in:
- Library summer reading program (definitely doing)
- Wessels Farm Life programs (local farm holding special classes for kids…teaching history…checking into)
- Science Museum summer classes (checking into)
- Wednesday dollar movie at the theater (every once in a while when there’s a good movie we want to see)
- Farmer’s Market (not selling baked goods this year…just selling shaved ice!)
Okay, here’s what I think we’ll do:
- Wake up whenever (hopefully I’ll wake up an hour or two before the boys so I can get computer work done) (actually, as it gets hotter, I’ll need to work in the garden during the earlier morning hours instead of working on the computer)
- Eat breakfast/read Bible together
- Do some daily chores before we start playing (we as in the boys part of we)
- Boys play/Mom does more housework…probably in the kitchen…or we all work in the garden together
- Work on projects mentioned above with boys
- Boys play/Mom works on HHM projects
- Mom exercises on mini-trampoline (gotta put that into the schedule because I won’t make myself do it otherwise)
- Straighten up the house
- Play or help Daddy with chores he needs help with/more garden work
- Bedtime (whenever that is)
Okay, well thank you for putting up with that. Even though it’s a loose schedule, I feel better now.
What do your summers look like? Do you try to keep a schedule?