Did I ever tell you about the first birthday my husband and I celebrated together as a married couple? He was used to birthdays being super low key, and I was used to birthdays being ALL ABOUT ME PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
So when I woke up on my birthday and Matt didn’t even mention it, I didn’t know what to do with that. (Yes I did. I cried.)
As the day went on and he still didn’t mention it, I went from sad to mad. At about 3:00 in the afternoon when he finally said something like, “I guess I should run to the store and get your something for your birthday.” I was like, “You’ve had 364 days to get me something for my birthday!!!!!”
Cake? There was no cake.
Ahh, fun newlywed memories.
Matt and I have learned a thousand-trillion or more lessons since those days. He is wonderful now about making days special for me, and I’m way more laid back about what I expect and want. So 22 years after my first married birthday, we’ve landed in our holiday happy place. Hopefully you have too.
The Mother’s Day Count-Down is On
I don’t know how you do holidays and special occasions at your house. But I thought you should know that as of today, there are 11 days to get ready for Mother’s Day. If ordering gifts is a thing your people do for you, I’ve done my part in making it easy. If making you food for the day is something they do, I’ve compiled a list.
Moms, look over this fantastic list. (I had help from a friend in putting it together. It is brilliant. My friend is brilliant.) Highlight your favorites, then forward this to all the people in your life who should act on this list.
Gifts for Mom that are Free (or Almost Free)
1. Coupons for extra chores, such as help with spring cleaning, gardening, cleaning out the garage (or basement or attic), washing windows, etc.
2. Love Notes – i.e. List ten reasons why you love and appreciate her.
3. Hand-Drawn pictures of you and Mom
4. Pictures of you and Mom together – could be framed if you like.
5. A copy of her favorite book and a coupon for her to have time to read it!!! (Check used bookstores and thrift stores for inexpensive copies of her favs.)
Gifts for Mom that are Under $25
6. Donate to her favorite charity in her name
7. Package up her favorite candles, lotion, coffee, tea, or other guilty pleasure – like chocolate!
- BeeSilk Hard Lotion is my favorite and might be your’s too. I love this stuff!!
- This coffee is super delicious. Or if she doesn’t have a coffee grinder, get this. How about a fun new mug to go with it?
- If she loves tea, this is a great gift set.
- The only thing better than these chocolates is the box they come in. So pretty!
8. This Butterfly Suncatcher is so pretty!
9. On the more practical side: here’s a fantastic Stainless Steel Knife Set in a Wooden Block.
10. And another Stainless Steel Knife Set in an Acrylic Stand.
11. This Wood Picture Photo Frame for Wall Decor is so cute I can’t stand it.
12. Look how pretty this Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Necklace is!!
13. And even prettier – this Floating Living Memory Locket Pendant Necklace!
14. If you have little ones, this Thank you God for Mommy book makes me melt.
15. What a great idea: a Q&A 5-Year Journal for Moms
16. Or how about Mommy’s 5-Year Memory Book?
17. Or a What I Love About Mom fill-in-the-blank book!
18. I have two of these sets of Pyrex Bowls with Lids and use them approximately 40 times every day.
More than $25, but worth it…
19. Has she said anything to you about making Homemade Vanilla? Vanilla beans are on the pricey side right now, but Olive Nation gives us a 20% discount and this might be a fun time to get her started on this. Get the details here.
20. This Cook N Home 12-Piece Stainless Steel Set is amazing. She will make you good food in this.
21. If you really, really want to knock her socks off, get her a BlendTec (and then help her put her socks back on). It will last forever and be invaluable to her.
Now let’s talk food
Dear Family Members of All the Mothers: If you do nothing else for Mom this year, feed her. Don’t let her cook. Don’t let her wash the dishes. And don’t even think about saving any dirty dishes for her to do on Monday. I have spoken.
Here are some great food ideas that are easy to make and always a hit. Pick what Mom will love the most!
For Her Sweet Tooth
For Breakfast in Bed
26. Hot Vanilla Milk
27. Breakfast Pizza
Lunch and Dinner Ideas
29. Salmon Patties
Lightly (but perfectly) Sweetened
33. Low Sugar Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits (my favorite in the world!)
37. Pineapple Cream Dessert (naturally dairy and gluten free!)
Coffee and Other Fun Drinks
39. Chocolate Frappe
40. Coffee Milkshake
The Gift of Time
If you still need more ideas, I’ve got some listed here.
Moms, leave a comment here to share: What is your favorite way to be spoiled on Mother’s Day?
Some of these links are my affiliate links.