I originally created these Easy No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars as a fun option for all of us to include in a lunch box. How was I to know they would also be great to eat for breakfast?
Some things simply can’t be helped. Before I knew what was happening, I had my morning coffee in one hand and a plate with one of these bars in the other. I was in my recliner before I realized, “How did I get here? Who gave this to me? What am I supposed to do with this thing? Eat it? For breakfast?”
There was nothing I could do.
I had made them the night before and slid them into the fridge. I spotted them when I reached in for the half-n-half to embellish my coffee to perfection. I saw the bars. Oats, peanut butter, uh…chocolate. Yes, it did sound a lot like breakfast.
When in need, a person can justify just about anything, am I right?
Well, you look at those and tell me you could resist choosing to eat one with your morning coffee. Especially when trying to make such an important decision BEFORE drinking the said coffee. No one can make good decisions before drinking the coffee.
Though I decided rather quickly that eating these with my morning coffee was actually a brilliant idea. So apparently I can make good decisions before coffee when there is chocolate involved.
I have now made the decision for you. Go ahead. Eat these for breakfast with your coffee. It’s a perfect way to start the day.
Easy No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, sucanat, or honey
- 3 cups whole rolled oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk chocolate is fine too, but will add to the sugar content)
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- In a saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Add rolled oats and stir over medium heat for about 30 seconds until oats are toasted in the butter/sugar mixture.
- Press half of the oat mixture into a 8x8 inch or 2-quart oblong baking dish.
- Set the remaining mixture aside.
- In another saucepan, stir the chocolate chips and peanut butter together over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Spread chocolate mixture over the oat mixture in the pan.
- Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 2 or more hours.
- Cut into bars and serve.
After you eat these for breakfast, consider also packing one for lunch. That is, after all, the original reason I created these. Details, details.
More great additions to your lunch box:
- Quick Bread in a Jar
- Veggies With Dip in a Jar
- Flourless Brownie Muffin
- Mini Crustless Quiche in a Jar
- Chips with Guacamole
- Burrito Bowl in a Jar
- Tuna Salad with Crackers
- Salad in a Jar
- Popcorn Chicken with Ranch
- Fruit Cheesecake Parfait
Pssst! Want more recipes like this one that include only five or fewer ingredients? This is for you!