Sure, banana bread is delicious. But why not take it a notch above and add some chocolate chips? I’m guessing that no one would argue if you made Chocolate Chip Banana Bread…
Even if you made it with whole grains, who’s gonna know? No one. You know why? Because it still tastes delicious. It’s still moist. And there are chocolate chips in it. It’s an amazing treat!
How many times have I said that I wished more food could be made from “spoiled” food. What I mean is – after bananas turn black, we can use them to make fantastic treats like this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Why can’t everything be made into something wonderful after it’s past its prime?
Everything should be like a banana.
By the way, this recipe is made millions of times better simply by adding sour cream. Mmm, always add sour cream. :)
Easy Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground soft white wheat)
- ½ cup sugar, brown sugar, or sucanat
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add mashed bananas, oil, sour cream and eggs.
- Stir until ingredients are well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.1
- Pour mixture into a buttered bread pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Lately, Brayden and I have been making lots of loaves of this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread to share with friends. He’s becoming quite the chef and loves delivering treats to friends.
It sure is fun to share pictures of our son. Here are more photos of his big adoption day in case you missed it. :)