I’ve been needing to do this for months.
The problem with trying to get ahead is that before you can get ahead, you have to catch up first. But I’ve been behind, so trying to catch up has been tough, which means that getting ahead has just been a far off dream.
Oh, and that reminds me that I’ve really been wanting to experiment with making my own catch up (or ketchup or however you want to spell it). Maybe once I’ve figured out how to make homemade catch up I will feel caught up?
Is this conversation making anyone else tired, or is it just me?
So here’s my point: This weekend I’m going to attempt to get ahead in the kitchen. The idea has been in the back of my mind for weeks now and I truly love having big cooking marathons. Once I saw that Crystal and Jessica were challenging others to join them in their Freezer Cooking Days, I decided that caught up or not, I was going to try to get ahead.
I really want to put some food in the fridge and freezer to make our school days easier. Oh, and the snacking. Lately I have felt like there are not nearly enough “easy to grab” snacks available.
This weekend I plan to let the house fall down around me while I make a huge mess in my kitchen. Actually, I plan to have my boys clean the rest of the house while I make a big mess in the kitchen. They don’t know that yet. But I have a list for them, oh yes I do.
Here’s my list for this weekend:
- Cheesy Beef and Rice (x2)
- Beefy Enchilada Bake
- Sloppy Joe Meat (x2)
- Corn Dog Muffins
- Popcorn Chicken (x 2 ready to rewarm for quick lunches)
- Beef and Cheese Burritos (x 2)
- Lasagna Casserole
- Homemade Pizza Pockets
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread (2 loaves + 2 regular loaves of Honey Whole Wheat Bread)
- Whole Wheat Tortillas (x 4 – some for burritos and some to have on hand for quesadillas and tostadas)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (3 batches for upcoming church activities)
- Whole Wheat Graham Crackers
- Strawberry Bread (x2)
- Whole Wheat and Honey Zucchini Bread (x2)
And now forgive me while I think out loud about some of the things I need to do before I can pull off this big “cooking ahead weekend”. I’d spare you, but it needs to be done and since Matt and I have very limited conversation time these days I hesitate to use up our precious minutes to tell him how much hamburger I need to thaw for my burritos.
- Thaw five pounds of ground beef.
- Thaw three pounds of ground venison.
- Thaw a package of hot dogs.
- Grind flour for baked goods.
- Thaw strawberries for bread.
- Thaw zucchini for bread
- Thaw two pounds of butter for cookies and tortillas.
- Thaw two pounds of cheese for burritos, pizza pockets and casseroles.
- Soak beans for chili.
- What am I forgetting?
- Hey did you fall asleep?
That’s okay…that was a boring list. But it was helpful to me, so thank you for putting up with it.
Okay, well I’m pretty excited about getting all of this done! Think I can pull it off? I’ll share a report and pictures on Monday to show how it went!
Want me to have the boys take a picture of all the flour that will be in my hair?
Oh, and after all of this…if I’m still standing upright…I REALLY AM going to try to make homemade catch up….ketchup. Maybe?