Want to know one of my latest tricks as I work to keep life simple (but still healthy) in the kitchen? While I’ve been working to have main dishes prepared ahead of time – when it comes time to serve the meal, we need a salad and/or veggie to go with it. No problem. Steaming veggies or tossing a salad together is super fast and easy.
But here’s what’s even faster: Throw down all of the salad fixings and let everyone make their own salad.
Is it just me, or does it appear that someone really should fill those empty jars of salad dressing?
Here’s what this looks like at dinner time at our house:
1. I had prepared a casserole last week and put it in the freezer.
2. At 4pm, I put the frozen casserole into the oven, turned the oven on to 250°, and let the casserole thaw/bake for two hours.
3. I wipe the sweat off my brow after that laborious twelve seconds of hard work.
4. At 5:50, I realize the casserole will soon be ready, so I decide to get out salad stuff.
5. I ask one boy to wash lettuce, another to wash tomatoes, another to get out salad dressing.
6. The casserole is taken out of the oven, the salad fixings are out, and everyone comes to the kitchen to fix a plate.
7. Each of us takes a scoop of casserole, then grabs some lettuce leaves. We all tear our lettuce onto our plates, grab tomatoes, choose our dressing, then sit down to eat together.
Even very young children can tear their own lettuce for a salad. And what kid doesn’t love being given permission to tear, rip, break, or shred their food? It’s like a salad eating privilege.
This message brought to you today by the Stop Giving Excuses About Not Having Time To Eat Healthy Food Foundation.
This make your own salad idea fits perfectly with our new Simple Meals program! Your meal prep is just about to become much, much easier. You’ll save money, too.
Join the fun! Check out our amazing Simple Meals program!
You will love this!