Homemade Onion Soup Mix (with No MSG!)

So far in this Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Challenge, we’ve come up with recipes for Homemade Tator Tots, Healthier Chocolate Milk and Teriyaki Sauce.  I attempted a recipe for corn tortillas and while they tasted pretty good…they were NOT easy to make, they fell apart and looked ugly.  I’m going to keep working on that one until I come up with a corn tortilla recipe that doesn’t take the whole afternoon to make.  :)

This new recipe in The Challenge was super easy to put together!  Vicki, one of our readers, sent me an Onion Soup Mix recipe to try and WOW is it simple!  I tweaked it a teeny tiny bit, but really, this recipe is more Vicki’s than mine.

What I love about this recipe is that I didn’t have to look high and low for the ingredients.  Many onion soup recipes I found call for some sort of bouillon.  Almost always, bouillon has MSG.  There are MSG free bouillon varieties out there, but what if they aren’t easily accessible to you?  And so…I was very happy to see this recipe that contained just dried herbs and spices!

Onion Soup Mix

2/3 cup dried, minced onion
3 teaspoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sucanat (or sugar if you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in a jar, then give the jar a good shake.  I’d recommend shaking the jar to mix the ingredients well before each use.

Use 4 Tablespoons Onion Soup Mix in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix.  (I actually found that 2 Tablespoons was plenty in a beef stew recipe I tried.)  Store this in a dry, cool place.

onion_soup_mix

I used the Onion Soup Mix in this simple, one dish stew and YUM!
I’ll be sharing the recipe eventually!

And with that…I have to ask:

SO many of you requested this recipe that I’m guessing you all must have tons of wonderful ways of using Onion Soup Mix?  I would LOVE for you to share what you do with this mix!!!  I have exactly two recipes that call for Onion Soup Mix .  I’m so excited to use this mix in those recipes because I’ve not made them for years.  But what else???  What do you make with Onion Soup Mix??

Comments

1. Jessica says

Sniff, sniff (wipes tear) — THANK YOU!! I love adding onion soup mix to chicken soup and beef stew to help flavor it. I’m so excited to try this and I’m only missing one or two little things!

2. Erin says

We add Onion Soup Mix to our meat when we grind our wild game into burger. It tastes sooo yummy and simplifies food prep! Even friends who don’t like the taste of wild game will eat our Onion Mix Burgers! We grow all our herbs, garlic and onions (and dehydrate them) so I’m excited to try this recipe! Also, can’t wait to try it with creme fraiche (sp?) for Onion Dip!!Thanks!

Its amazing how much I miss being able to just buy those little chemical filled packets o flavor! Thanks for this very yummy alternative!

4. Sarah says

Beef & Noodles
    2 lbs beef stew meat
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    4 oz can mushrooms or fresh mushrooms
    1/2 cup red cooking wine
    Combine in crock pot and cook on low 8-12 hrs.
    Serve over noodles. Good over mashed potatoes too!

Thank you, thank you. I had forgotten how “way back when” I would sprinkle 1/2 packet over chicken in the crock pot.

Just today I got an msg headache from eating out with out-of-town(country) family at a barbeque place :(. I just hope it doesn’t trigger a migraine!

I use Onion Soup Mix all the time!! I think I have now convinced my hubby to allow me to spend the money on some glass jars!!!

I make…
    roast-add the meat, cut carrots, cut potatoes…sprinkle with onion soup mix…turn on crock pot

chip dip – add mix to sour cream

beef tips – add soup mix to beef tips, add some water to help form a “gravy”

add to hamburger meat and pat out into burgers, grill (everyone who has eaten a burger at our house wants to know my secret!)

meatloaf

of course, that is all I can think of off the top of my head!!!

7. Jackie says

YAYAY! I have been looking for a recipie for onion soup mix! I like to add it to my roast and other beefy meals.. and have refused to buy it… THANKS!

8. Linda says

Dip made with sour cream and onion soup mix is a comfort food to me. Great childhood memories of eating this dip! Thank you so much for the recipe! I’m going to mix some up to keep with my ranch and taco seasonings.

I use onion soup mix to make dip (with sour cream, as others have mentioned), meatloaf, and with oil to top potato wedges that I then bake. The latter is amazing with roasted chicken.

10. RG says

Brisket with 1 tbsp of dijon, 1 Tbsp plain mustard, and onion soup mix. 1cup water. Add carrots and potatoes if you like.Crock pot for Sunday dinner.

11. Marla says

Crock Pot Chicken
    2 c. sour cream
    1 can cream/mushroom soup
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    4 chicken breasts

Mix together and pour over chicken. Cook on low in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours. Serve over wild rice or mashed potatoes. Yum!

katie Reply:

going to try this tonight thanks for sharing

12. Claudia Lisle says

Hi sugar, love your website, have been copying down recipes for Taco Seasoning and Onion Soup Mix!
    They would be such nice gifts!
    And I love the idea of making stuff without all the additives that commercial mixes have in them!
    Madge Miller sent Mom your latest articles and we just love them! YOU are SO TALENTED.
    And we love you so much.
    Oh dear is this public?
    Much love
    Claudia

Yay! So fun to hear from you here on the website! Love you too!

13. Jocelyn Skelly says

Woo hoo!!! I’ve gotten to the point where when I see “onion soup mix” in the recipe, I just move on. I am making my shopping list right now! I’m going bulk spice shopping (my spices are in need of replacing) and making some onion soup mix, ranch dressing, and taco seasoning! And I love the idea someone had of making gifts out of these, I’m jumping onto that! So excited to have discovered all you have to offer!!!

BTW…I used to use onion soup mix in meatloaf and burgers and dip as so many other mentioned :)

14. Crystal says

Thank you so much for this! I, too, have had the problem of finding a mix recipe with no MSG. I, too, suffer from the MSG migraine. One recipe I do that I didn’t see anyone else show is Salisbury steak. I combine onion soup mix, brown gravy mix and a can or two of mushrooms (with the liquid). This forms the gravy for the steaks. Then I just cook some hamburger patties and smother it in gravy. It tastes so good, but I don’t love the headache. Now I get both! Whoot!

15. Christie Freeman says

The sad thing is, so many people don’t ever notice that most canned soups, as well as the mixes for soups- like Onion Soup Mix- and dips have MSG. I am SO happy to see this healthier recipe for Onion Soup Mix! Thank you. YEAH! I now can make a healthy version of onion dip with plain organic yogurt. WHOOHOO!

16. Erin says

Roast that makes it’s own gravy!

4 TBS. of onion soup mix, worcestershire sauce (some poured over the top of roast), a can of cream of mushroom soup (can make your own home-made), and of course a roast (I have used all cuts-beef and venison). This makes it’s own gravy and the roast is soooo tender!

17. Cyndi says

Yay, I was excited to find this page with the recipe for an alternative to onion soup mix. I can make my husband’s favorite meatloaf dish now. Thanks for posting this.

18. Nancy Bengtson says

Slow Cook Tri Tip Roast (or Brisket) THE BOMB!

Preheat Oven to 250°
    3-4 lbs tri tip (or any beef roast)
    1 env Lipton onion soup mix
    1 TBL lemon juice
    1 TBL Worstershire sauce

Place roast in a 9×13 baking dish. Mix soup with juice and sauce to make smotth paste and spread over meat. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake 250° 4-6 hours.

I praise God for your site! you are an angel!

19. Debbie Patterson says

I add onion soup mix to my roast. I take my roast, and sear it in hot oil then remove it to a large pot; then I almost cover it with water. To this I add the equivalent of 1 onion soup mix pkg. After simmering for 3 hours or so I add carrots and potatoes to the pot. It makes the perfect roast and the onion soup mix broth makes awesome gravy for the roast and flavors the potatoes and carrots as well.

I just used this on a roast (used 3 TBS per 2 lbs roast) along with a cup of water and a TBS or 2 of Worcestershire sauce. Cooked on low in a crock pot for 8 hours… then served on toasted buns with swiss cheese! Reserve the juices for dipping! It was delish and MSG free!

I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve come back to share how I’ve used your onion soup mix! Today I used it to flavor my vegetable soup. I used about 3 TBS for a BIG pot of vegetable beef soup! SO Yummy! Thanks for these great recipes!

THANKYOU! I’ve been waiting to make a Pampered Chef recipe, Savory Salisbury Steaks. It calls for Onion Soup Mix in the Patties and the Vegetable Sauce

23. JenJ says

Ok, I have such a long list of recipes to try now! I love your ranch mix, pancake and sausage muffins, and I will try the mushroom soup recipe soon. Now that I see this recipe, I can make one of my husband’s favorite childhood meals, 1-in-1 casserole.

1 cup of rice, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup,1 pack of onion soup mix, 1 pound of ground beef.

All his mom did was throw it in a casserole pan and cook till the rice was done. YUM! I altered it a bit by cooking the beef 1/2 way so I could drain the grease. Then I had to add some water (1 cup?) to make up for the grease so the rice would still cook right, because ewwwwww, I could not eat that soaked in grease LOL!

Keith Reply:

At what temperature and for how long is it cooked? I might make this tonight.

JenJ Reply:

Sorry, I have no idea on the timing! It has been several years since I made it (due to MSG). The temp was 350, and it was between 30min-1hour.

24. ESJ says

Baked Chicken and Rice
    1 c. raw rice (not instant)
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    2 cans water
    chicken
    Put rice in the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan with half of the onion soup mix. Add soup mixed with 2 cans of water. Place chicken pieces on top and add the other ½ of the soup mix. Bake at 350 for 1.5 hours, first hour covered, last half hour uncovered.

25. Tracy Compaan says

So, I just mixed this recipe up but I discovered to my chagrin that I don’t have turmeric in the house. Does this add much flavor, or is it there mainly for the color? I’ll add it next time I go to the grocery store, but if I make the meat and potato dish you posted, will I notice that it’s missing?

It shouldn’t make too much of a difference. I think it will probably be just as good without it!

26. Erin Metcalf says

How about actually using for quick soup? I looooved onion soup when I was a kid, but i can only find it now in bpa filled cans or msg filled mixes. I can’t wait to try this mix for general cooking, but I’d also like to try it for actual soup. Should I add beef stock as the base?

27. Becca Gordon says

Just tried this soup mix with one of our homegrown, grass-fed beef roasts and WOW! The meat and veggies were so flavorful! Such a difference from the Lipton soup I used to use. Love how much healthier this mix is and that I can make it in large batches so inexpensively! Thanks for coming up with this recipe!!

28. Judith says

Can’t wait to try this. As someone else said, I typically just move on when I see recipes with onion soup mix. My 4 yr old is gluten/dairy/soy/MSG(and all the other “artificials”) free, and so I haven’t bought the stuff in forever! Between the chemicals and fillers in it we can’t use it unless I want to cook 2 separate meals every meal (which I am not willing to do!) I look forward to using this soon!

We are fish growers, but love our beef..Saw this On PBS, tried it and everyone loved it. Easy as all get out. They used a crock pot and cooked 6-8 hours. I use a roasting pan in oven set at 300 for approx 8 hours. May need a little more or less. Put in order of:
    1 beef brisket
    1 can cranberry sauce (like for Thanksgiving)
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    DO NOT ADD WATER
    COOK when done let rest 15 min (easier to get out of pan)
    I serve with garlic mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, salad and rolls or mashed potatoes and Yorkshire puddings. GREAT DINNER Can fix to serve many…When we have kids and grands its eleven and we make enough for leftovers cause makes great sandwiches next day.

It is awesome in chili.
    Here is my recipe:
    Cook 2 1bs grd beef/turkey
    with 2Bls oil

Combine in blender:
    onion soup mix diluted with 10 oz of water or broth and 2 TBLS chili powder
    then pour over meat and simmer for 5 min on med. heat.
    add remaining ingredients:
    2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    few drops Tabasco
    21oz can red kidney beans
    6oz can tomato paste
    8oz can tomato sauce
    Simmer for about 1/2 hour.
    ENJOY!!

Roasted potatoes. Cube potatoes, add onion soup mix and drizzle with olive oil. Stir to coat. Bake in oven about 45 minutes at 400*F. Flip potatoes about half way through. Sprinkle with a little parm cheese when they come out of oven.

32. Teresa says

Can you make this without the sugar? We have trouble with yeast at our house, so looking for “no sugar” options. Thanks!

Sure, that would work fine!

33. Liz says

I just used this to make a pot roast in the slow cooker! My husband LOVED it!

1 recipe of Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup (http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-cream-of-something-soup/)
    4 Tbs Homemade Onion Soup Mix
    6 small red potatoes, cut in half
    6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
    1 boneless beef bottom round roast or chuck pot roast (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)

*I added a medium onion quartered

Directions
    1. Stir the mushroom soup, soup mix, potatoes and carrots in a 4 1/2-quart slow cooker. Add the beef and turn to coat.
    2. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours* or until the beef is fork-tender.
    3. *Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

our slow cooker is 6 quarts, so i left mine on high for 3.5 hours and it was perfect!

I am very excited to discover this recipe for a healthier version of Lipton Onion Soup Mix! I used to use that stuff all the time, until I tried to get away from it! I use it in:

French Onion dip — mixed with sour cream
    Meatloaf
    Hamburger Patties
    Eye of Round Roast — delicious!

Looking forward to giving this a try!

35. Joyce says

Thank You so much for publishing this recipe, I buy alot of beefy onion soup mix, now I can saved money and make my own…I use it in meatloaf, vegetable beef soup, strognoff, anything made with beef, I love it!

I add some to my potato salad. Also, I have a recipe for beef roast that calls for onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup. As it bakes, it creates a gravy for the roast. (Too bad I don’t use craem of mushroom soup any more.) Chicken or turley with rice is a casserole I use onion soup mix in. I think that is about all I use it for.

37. Kit says

Hi I just found this website and I’m really looking forward to making the multiple recipes on here! Just a quick question, what is turmeric and is it easy to find?

You should be able to easily find it in the spices section at the store.

I plan to use a recipe for pork tenderloin in the slow cooker that calls for onion soup mix. I will replace the packaged with the homemade.

39. Joyce says

One of our favorite family meals is “Beer Beef”. In a crockpot place a beef roast (I usually use bottom round roast), a bottle of NICE beer (Not mass brewed American beer!), and one packet of onion soup mix. Cook on low 6-8 hours (or high 4-5 hours) until the beef is tender enough to pull apart. Once it has been pulled apart warm it for about 30 minutes-still in the crock pot. Serve on nice Hamberger buns with mustard and relish. We can usually serve a family of 14 (that’s why I make it when we are ALL together!)!!! So it goes a long way!

I cant believe I finally found a onion soup mix recipe that doesn’t call for the nasty little bouillon cubes or instant bouillon! Every time I have used it I feel like I am using a little cube of chemicals. I am definately going to use this recipe, which I use in soups, on chickend, on steak, in casseroles and lots of other things. I will share it with everyone I know. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Have a blessed day.

41. ingrid says

How much does this make? I’d like to make some to give for Christmas gifts!

This makes about 1 cup, which is a half pint. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this! I’m so excited to try it.

We make chicken strips with it. Mix one packet of onion soup mix with 3/4 cup bread crumbs. Dip chicken strips in melted butter, then in bread crumbs/soup mix. Bake at 350 for 10 min, or until done, turning over 1/2 way through. We love this recipe and make it almost every week, so I’m excited to have a way to make it healthier.

Used to use it for tin-foil dinners for camping and bonfires. That was before I stopped eating canned soup, dry soup mix and beef! Now I think I’ll try them again with this recipe, your soup recipe, and soy “sausage” crumbles!

44. jill says

I did not love this recipe. I think it was the turmeric, it was all I tasted and I only used 1 tsp. I would try this again, omitting the turmeric, adding several garlic cloves, and slightly more salt. Thank you for a base to start with!

45. Kathy says

We like this recipe, the taste is just great. My only complaint is the sour cream turns yellow after a day or two (if I use it for chip dip), I am assuming that is the tummeric. So I think next time I will make it without the tummeric and see what happens.

thanks for this recipe!