Healthy(er) Rice Crispy Treats

This is one of my favorite new recipes, so I chose to show you this one first in the Heavenly Homemakers Parade of Recipes and Cooking Tips

I rarely buy cereal because it is expensive and no matter what kind you buy, it is generally not very good for you.  However, occasionally I’ll buy a Mom’s Best or a Kashi variety.  We all have “those mornings” when we just want to grab out a box (or two) of cereal and call it breakfast.

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking around on Amazon for organic cereal choices and was excited to find Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal for a very reasonable price and with ingredients I didn’t feel too bad about.  I used my Swagbucks and ordered some.

Because this cereal is made with brown rice, it’s a little bit different from your “normal” Rice Krispie cereal, but since cereal is a special treat around here, we all like it just fine.  Well, then…I got to thinking that it sure would be fun to make some sort of “rice crispy treat”.  I miss Rice Krispie treats.  They’re so easy and yummy.

While this recipe doesn’t taste entirely like a real Rice Krispie Treat, it does have the feel and crunch of one – plus they taste really, really good!!  I still haven’t tried making homemade marshmallows, so I skipped that idea altogether and just used honey to sweeten and make the cereal “stick together”.  All of us have declared this recipe to be quite tasty…and I, the mom, have declared it to be one of the easiest recipes ever.  It takes about five minutes to throw these together!

Healthy(er) Rice Crispy Treats

1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups Crispy Rice Cereal

In a saucepan, melt and stir the peanut butter and honey together.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Stir in Crispy Rice Cereal.  Spread in a 9×9 inch pan and allow to cool.

For fun, you could add 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips as you’re stirring in the cereal.  We LOVE these soy free mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life!

I love that this recipe is gluten free, easy, fast, healthier and crunchy!  This is SUCH a simple snack to throw together.  I think I’ll try to make some with Sunbutter for Malachi – I don’t know why it wouldn’t work!

Stay tuned to see what’s coming up next in our Parade of Healthy Recipes and Cooking Tips!!

Share on Facebook224Pin on Pinterest1,847Tweet about this on Twitter8Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Print this page

Comments

I have a box of this cereal that I just got for a recipe I found in Clean Eating magazne for “fried” chicken. This’ll be the perfect way to use up the rest!

2. april says

I’m amazed at your willingness to just “try to make something work” and risk losing it all. Obviously it speaks to a depth of understanding about what things will react what way. I would have been worried they would have come out hard as a rock or something.

3. Amanda Y. says

These look questionably unappetizing, but your recipes are normally great, so I still think I’m going to try it soon!

4. Jackie says

I LOVE that there’s peanut butter involved!! I’d also love to win “What to Do With the Chicken in Your Kitchen”

5. Bethany says

Okay-I have to tell you THANKS!!!
    I made your recipe for Peanut Butter Honey Fudge not long ago, and it was a huge hit! My 3 yr. old and husband loved it and it vanished very quickly! So it got me to thinking and I made my own recipe for those “no bake cookies” that have peanut butter, sugar, cocoa, butter, oatmeal and vanilla in them… My version is healthier with coconut oil and natural peanut butter and honey. So thanks for the inspiration!

But it looks like now I’m going to try this one because I’m sure my guys will love it. (And I secretly really enjoy it when they like something that is healthy(ier)!!!)

Thank you for giving us a healthier version of sweet treats like this!

6. AmyR says

I think you could spread peanut butter, honey and vanilla on a tire and the kids would beg to eat it so I’ll give this recipe a try. ; )

7. Nancy Michel says

Love honey and peanut butter…this will get made soon, hopefully tomorrow!!

I would like thinking outside the breakfast box e-book

8. Phil says

Honey is always popular in our house, but my son doesn’t like peanut butter. I wonder what a good alternative would be for a similar texture.

Emily Reply:

what about almond butter?

Deborah Reply:

Almond butter is probably a really good choice. I don’t usually
    like it because it’s kinda flavorless in my opinion. But at a neutral
    way to add protein, it’d be perfect!

You could also do sunbutter.

9. Heidi says

i am upset by this recipe! well, only because i have no rice crispies in the pantry and i now have a puddle of drool on the keyboard. i can’t imagine how these could turn out bad. thanks for a reason to buy cereal again LOL!

10. Lorinda says

The classic Rice Krispie treats were so fun to make. I remember the melted marshmallow strings and the Rice Krispies sticking to the wooden spoon. That was the best part! Eating the warm melt-y mess that was on the spoon. And trying to keep fingers well buttered to form the treats in the pan. The addition of peanut butter sounds great!

11. Annie says

These sound GREAT!! Especially since my boys’ favorite lunch is peanut butter and honey sandwiches! I’d be so popular if we just ate these for lunch instead of sandwiches!!!

Oh! Thanks for the info on the “healthier” rice cereal. I’ve been looking for some for ever so long. Will try this recipe when I get the cereal! :) PB&H is a huge favorite in our house, and I’ve always made my krispy bars with peanut butter… whether the marshmallow version or another one we grew up with using karo syrup(Could use honey there!).

Thanks again!

13. Michelle says

So, is crispy rice different than puffed rice? The puffing process freaks me out a little…

Oh yes, very different from puffed rice. These taste pretty much like rice krispies (kellogs).

14. Betsy says

I made these for the kids the other night and we liked them soooo much more than the marshmallow ones!! Thanks Laura!

15. Rebekah says

These look delicious! Can’t wait to try them! They’d probably look festive for the holidays rolled up in balls. :-)

16. kelly says

have you tried it with sunbutter? and if so how did they turn out?

Yep…they turned out great!

17. Josie says

Do you think it would work to turn these into more of a trail mix bar by adding craisins, sunflower seeds, etc? Would I need to add more peanutbutter or honey so that they wouldn’t be too dry? Thanks for this great recipe!

Yes, either you would need more PB and honey OR you could just add LESS rice crispy cereal and add in your other yummy ideas!

I was excited until I saw the peanut butter…My daughter is allergic to peanuts….

Stephanie Reply:

I just saw that it is yummy with sunbutter so I am excited again :)

19. Andrea Bloom says

I’m going to make these with brown rice crispy cereal, for a little more nutrition and I can’t wait!

The plan is to shape them into pumpkins and decorate with mini chocolate chips (my husband) or raisins (me) for a healthy (-er) Halloween Treat!

Won’t they be the perfect color? I might even put a bite or 2 of chopped apple and a caramel in the middle, as a surprise!

Thanks so much for sharing!

20. Melissa says

Oh man this brings back memories! This is how we made ‘ice cream sandwiches’ at home. Make these pretty flat, freeze a bit to set up, then a slice of ice cream in between. A wonderful treat!

21. Miranda says

Hi Laura,
    These sound yummy! I’m wondering if the mixture stays “pliable” long enough to mold? I have a heart-shaped mold that will form only one at a time; I might be able to get 6 – 8 pieces from this recipe if it doesn’t set up too quickly. Thanks for sharing!

That should work out just fine!

22. Tricia B. says

Used my own homemade peanut butter & a little homemade almond butter with regular Rice Krispies (it was all I had on hand) and let them harden in the fridge. Delish!!

A bit on the rich side but surprisingly like regular Rice Krispie treats :).

23. Desiray Layton says

Do any of u know how many calories are in a serving size of this recipe?or how I might figure out how many calories are in the recipe?

Kelly Reply:

I figured out the calories to be 2440 for the whole batch. I made half a batch and cut it into 8 pieces. So if the whole batch was 16 pieces they would be 152.5 calories each.
    I used Barbara brand brown rice crisps cereal.

24. Debbie says

Is this recipe magical because I am using crispy rice cereal for instead of puffed rice or because the proportions are so different from the other recipes I’ve used? I have tried others just subbing puffed rice because it was all I had, but one had only ½ c each of honey and pb for 5 cups of cereal plus ½ c dried cherries, and one used an entire box of the brown rice cereal with 1¾ c brown rice syrup and ¾ c peanut butter. I have this cooling (with CRISPY rice cereal, for once) and I can tell already it is actually holding together! The others I tried fell apart as soon as I tried to cut them. It smells so good in here!

25. Jenni says

I am looking forward to trying this one, and am excited because I already have the crispy brown rice on hand! I add it to my granola, but love having another idea for using it (especially since you get 6 boxes with amazon). I was actually wondering about the peanut butter though. If you use natural peanut butter for this, does it need to be refrigerated? Thanks!

No refrigeration needed!

26. Wendy says

My DD who loves rice crispy treats doesn’t like like peanut butter. Strange child. Anyway, I wonder if you could mix up a batch of homemade marshmallow and instead of pouring them into a pan to set up just mixing in the cereal. Seems silly to make the marshmallows, wait a day for them to set up, then melt them again with butter. But I don’t know how the lack of butter would cause the end product to turn out. anyone ever tried this?