EASY! Overnight, No Knead Yeast Bread

No-Knead Bread

I love having smart friends.

Smart friends who give me great, easy, healthy recipes are my favorite kind of friends.  As are my friends who give me chocolate.  Or jars.  Or hugs.  Or the friends who listen to my constant and sometimes nonsensical chatter.  And the ones who put up with my unreasonable freak-out moments of stress.  And the ones who pray with me.  And the ones who deal with me during soccer season when I can’t finish sentences.

Let me just pause and wipe a tear.  I really have the best friends ever…

Well now.  (stops to loudly blow nose and gain composure)  I really brought all that up to say that one of my great friends, Nikki, shared this recipe with me.  She’s one of my smart friends who I believe has done all of the above and then some (God bless her).

Once when I was at her house, she let me try some of the bread she had made that morning.  It was great!  And then she started telling me how she made it.  How you don’t have to knead it.  How you start it the night before and how it takes about three minutes to mix up.  I think I grabbed her neck, hugged her fiercely, and knocked her over when she handed me the recipe.  Not really.  I truly can control myself.  Usually.  But hey, there was a great recipe involved, so no guarantees.  See, I told you my friends are great to put up with me.

And now, the easiest bread recipe in the world…

No Knead Yeast Bread

3 cups flour (This recipe works a little better with unbleached white flour, but I prefer to use freshly ground hard white wheat so that it is healthier.)
1 ¾ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon active rise yeast
1 ½ cups water

Note:  You need a covered dish to bake this bread.  I found a deep-dish casserole dish with a lid that worked for me, similar to this one.  But if I can save up and splurge on this one, would that not be the coolest?

Stir ingredients together in the evening.  (No need to proof the yeast.)  Cover and allow dough to sit over-night on the countertop.  In the morning, dump the dough onto a well floured surface.  Shape it into a ball.  Let it sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 450°, heating the baking dish in the oven at the same time.  Place the dough in the hot baking dish.  Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes.

When you mix it and cover it in the evening, it starts out looking like this:

In the morning it will look like this:

After you bake it, it will look like this:

And when you slice it it will look like this:

Once you serve it, it will look like this:

(There’s no picture.  The bread is gone.  Obviously.)

I highly recommend that you give this recipe a try, and that you consider serving it with this wonderful Calico Beans dish.  It’s a wonderful combo!

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest1,384Tweet about this on Twitter2Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Print this page

Comments

1. Susan W says

This bread is amazing. You can also add all kinds of add ins. I have a fabulous friend and she loves grainy bread. So when I make it for her I add oats sunflower seeds flax seeds and some spelt flour! She loved it. Tasted like we picked it up from a fancy bakery. I have figured out I can fit a glass Pyrex casserole and a cast iron one in the oven at the same time so I always bake 2 at a time! I have had this bread with white chocolate chips and craisins! It is very versatile! Glad you found this recipe.

2. Tara says

This will be great for those days I do not have 2 days to wait on my sourdough or we are out and need a yummy loaf!! Thank you

3. Rae Cicelske says

Looks great..I am Gluten free and wondering if this would work with GF flours.

If you try it, be sure to come back and let us know!

4. Jenika Johnson says

Did you need to add more than 3 cups when you used freshly ground flour? Mine first loaf is on the counter waiting for me in the morning! I am so excited!

I use freshly ground and stick with the three cups no problem.

5. Lisa says

I’ve been wanting to try this method (cooking inside a covered pot, but didn’t know if the crust gets hard or is softer? I don’t like a really hard crust on my bread. I would love to hear your feedback about this.

Lisa (SAHM to 8 yo dd, 7 yo ds, 3 yo ds)

It is a pretty “crusty crust” – harder than I prefer, although still really delicous!

Emily Reply:

If you wrap it in plastic wrap for a day or so it will soften up the crust.

6. C. Dazey says

I love finding easy bread recipes…and I have some of the best friends ever. One of my friends and I both read your blog, and when we get together we talk about all of the things we have been trying that we read here!

7. Soccy says

What is active rise yeast? Sorry for the nubile question. I use a Breadmaker and have only used fast rising yeast.

I believe those yeasts are the same and can be used interchangably. :)

8. Jennifer Blaine says

This looks so easy!! I am a working outside of the home mom, and this would be great for any day. Even if I have to work that day!!

9. obearlady says

ok i’ll try the bread you sayed 3 flour well i put 1 1/2 cups white flour 1 1/2 wheat flour you sayed 1 1/2 water well had to put 2 cups water it raised up fine over night about 10 hrs ecry thing from there turned just fine raised up the 2ed time the heat was to high i backed down to 350.o for 40 min well it worked out just fine yummmm honeybutter yummm

10. Rebecca says

Could you add seeds to this? I would love to add sunflower and pumpkin seeds and maybe sesame seeds for extra texture but worry it would affect the rising process!

Yes, I think you can add most anything to this!

11. Debbie says

Made this last night and am wondering how big the covered dish needs to be to bake this?? I assume a casserole dish would work.

A 2 or 3 quart dish will work fine.

12. Marie says

I can’t wait to try this!! PRobably tonight! I would love to have the aroma of fresh baked bread to wake my family in the morning, ready for them to grab as they head out to various directions this busy Sat. Thanks for the recipe!!

13. Larissa says

I’m kind of clueless when it comes to yeast…is active DRY yeast the same thing as active RISE yeast?

I believe they can be used interchangably. :)

14. Amber Dawn says

Will be trying this very soon! One question: so there is no honey or sugar in the recipe? I’ve never seen a bread recipe without a sweetener (for the yeast). If we don’t need it, great! :) Thank you!

Right, I thought that was weird too when my friend gave me the recipe! It works without it though. :)

15. Billie says

I always either soak my grains or use sourdough (my youngest has dental issues) but really want to try this recipe…do you think I could reduce the water and add some ACV? Any idea how much? Thanks so much for the recipe!

I think it should work, but not sure on the measurements. :)

Theresa C Reply:

Perhaps trying this recipe using sprouted flour? It’s fairly easy to make on your own :)

Billie Reply:

Unfortunately, from what I’ve read I can’t make my own…I don’t have a way to dry the soaked wheat at the correct temperature…:(

Jenni Reply:

Did you try the bread with soaked grains? I would like to try that too. If you have any tips let me know. Thanks!

16. Ann Marie says

Looks fantastic! And I LOVE the bowl you would like to get – just might have to save up and splurge on that one myself!

17. Brianna D. says

I had seen recipes like this, but they were always made with white flour. I didn’t know you could do it with whole wheat! Great!

Would it work to cover my dish with aluminum foil if I don’t have a covered casserole dish?

18. Rhoda says

This is a smaller version of the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day recipe. That version will make 3 one pound loaves that you can make all at once or keep the dough in the refrigerator for up to two weeks (more sour doughish at the two week point). My family LOVES that bread. So glad that cold weather is coming so I can start making bread again.

19. charla shell says

laura-
    I prepared my dough last night and just finished baking this afternoon. It worked just like you said , i have always had a fear of using yeast the whole kneading and proofing etc. but this was super easy and my family loved it!! thanks I will be making this again and again!!

20. Rachele says

Made this last night, and the kids and I had it for breakfast, WOW so yummy! I had to make another for Daddy to try because there wasn’t even a crumb left!! He loved it too!! I’m so excited it’s so easy to make and everyone likes it!! Thanks for sharing

21. April says

I can’t wait to try this. I have some wonderful friends as well. Some of them turned me on to making my own bread and grinding my wheat. That got me started on this fun ride to switch to no processed foods.

22. April says

I just want to caution you…it wasn’t clear from your post visually, but if you are cooking in a Pyrex-type bowl, Pyrex strongly cautions against not putting one of their glass items into an oven that is not fully preheated, as well as NOT putting something cold into a hot container. http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=32 The dramatic temperature change can cause the glass to shatter and I would hate to see you or anyone else hurt. Most recipes that I have seen that use this style of bread-making call for a cast iron or ceramic-coated (similar to Le Cruset) style of Dutch Oven, which allows the bake ware to be preheated in the oven before adding the much cooler bread dough.

As for the recipe, I think I just might give it a try this weekend. I have made Jim LaHey’s No-Knead bread before, but this one seems even simpler. Thanks for sharing!

24. Christy says

So you cover the bread while baking or only cover it overnight?

Kristi W. Reply:

I think you cover the bread while it is baking too. I just made a loaf this morning and covered it in the oven. It was so amazing how easy it was and how yummy too!! Love it!

25. Brittany says

Do you have to use seasalt? My husband is on a low iodine diet for the next few weeks and cant have seasalt.

You can leave out the salt if you need to.

26. Jocelyn says

Sounds too good to be true…so easy, I can’t wait to try it. Actually going to have my daughter do it (she’s the first one up in the morning :)

I think you just handed me a recipe I’m not afraid to try. I’m not good with bread products. I ruined pizza dough. Seriously. So I’m pinning this for when the weather cools down just a wee bit more so that i can make it.

28. Leah y. says

Ok. I have that exact covered baker and have yet to use it. I’m curious if this recipe will fill it full. I am going to try. Maybe double it.

Looks simple and absolutely delicious! We’ll have to try it! Loved the first commenter’s suggestion about white choc chips and craisins!

30. Theresa C says

I am soooo trying this recipe!!! Thank you for sharing! I can’t make bread or anything involving yeast to save my life. I just can’t knead correctly I guess. I even watched your youtube video Laura where you show how to knead bread…yeah, didn’t work for me. I think I need someone in my kitchen teaching me!

31. Karen says

This is very similar to a recipe for English Muffin Bread that Crystal Paine posted on her blog, MoneySavingMom.com. I have used it a few times, it is very easy, and my family really enjoyed it. That recipe does use a bit of sweetener though, so I am eager to give this one a try. This is perfect for those busy times when doing a yeast recipe seems just too big. Thanks for sharing.

32. Diane Harriman says

I’ve seen this recipe many times but have never tried it because although it is no knead it seemed complicated. Also, I only ise freshly ground hard white so I was concerned thst would be an issue. Thanks for testing it out and simplifying the directions enough to actually make me do it. I have my first batch on the counter right now :)