Coconut Flour Banana Muffins

I’ve been having so much fun playing with this Gluten Free/Dairy Free Muffin recipe!  We’re on the home stretch of the Gluten Free Experiment we’ve been conducting at our house (more on that soon), but I guarantee you we’ll continue to make these muffins and all the fun variations I’m coming up with whether we’re gluten free or not.   What a healthy little muffin (that just so happens to taste like cake).

Coconut flour is high in fiber, high in protein, making it a wonderful addition to your diet.  I find coconut flour at Tropical Traditions or Amazon.  I’m so in love with this stuff that I might just write a post all about it someday soon.

I don’t recommend substituting whole wheat flour in this recipe. Coconut flour and wheat flour are not created equal.  If you want a Whole Wheat Banana Muffin recipe, check out this one!  We love it!

Coconut Flour Banana Muffins

1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
6 eggs
4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
1/4 cup honey
2-3 ripe, mashed bananas
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Mix all ingredients together, then pour batter into a well greased (or paper lined) muffin pan.  Bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.

coconut_flour_banana_muffins[1]

I never put nuts in muffins because 5 out of 6 of us don’t care for them in our baked goods.  How ’bout you?  Are you a nutty kind of person?  (I really mean to ask if you like nuts in your muffins…not if you consider yourself to be nuts, but feel free to answer according to how you’re feeling today.)

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest3,469Tweet about this on Twitter10Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn1Print this page

Comments

I am a nutty person myself, but my husband and daughter could care less for them… Sometimes though, if I feel like it, I will make a few or an extra loaf of whatever I am making with nuts in it for me!

& you thought I actually called myself nutty!! =]

2. LMuse says

Have you ever tried baking with almond flour? Gluten free and lots of protein! A bit on the expensive side, but versatile enough to use in savory recipes and sweets. I only thought of it because I’ve got a really good banana muffin recipe that uses almond flour that I got from a gluten-intolerant friend of mine.

Happy baking!
    -L

Laura@HeavenlyHomemakers Reply:

No, I’ve never tried but I’d love to. It sounds wonderful!

Nancy Reply:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/avoid-almond-flour/ moderation and variety with go us on vegetables :)

3. Yvonna says

Sadly I have diverticulitis and no-matter how much I love nuts I can’t have. I can’t even have popcorn :( Can a person make fresh coconut flour and if so how? Blessing’s

Laura@HeavenlyHomemakers Reply:

Yes, but I’ve never done it before so I’m not sure how to do it!

4. Ann says

If you’re not crazy about all the eggs in gluten free cooking, one tablespoon of flax seed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water equals one egg. You can also use Egg Replacer that you can find in most health food stores. But I prefer the health benefits of flax seed.

5. Colleen says

Thanks for a great recipe to try as I must follow a GF diet and can’t wait to try this. I like nuts, but my family doesn’t so no nuts will go in this recipe. :-)

6. bikey mama carie says

we all love nuts but not in the choc chip cookies for one of us so a double batch it is. I’m not ready to shell out for “other” flours, we just don’t eat baked goods unless it is flour kind every once in a great while. will splurge one of these days because like you said they are so very healthy!

7. Tara says

I love nuts in baked goods. I’ve always liked crunchy with soft and warm with cold (think warm brownie with cold ice cream) and sweet with savory. I like to mix it up!

8. Mary says

I’ve never tried coconut flour–I’m intrigued. Ours is definitely a nutty family. We love walnuts and almonds here, although walnuts are my nut of choice for baking. In basic wheat breads that I bake, I almost always add sunflower seeds.

9. Becky says

I think I will make some of these. I’ll have to look for coconut flour. I love nuts in most baked goods, but my husband has diverticulosis so he can’t have nuts. It makes him sad because he loves them. So, I now divide banana bread and similar recipes in half and make half with and half without nuts.

10. Sheila says

I eat low carb and would like to try this without the banana and honey… sort of like a coconut flour nut muffin with (pecans or walnuts). Any suggestions?

Madeleine Reply:

I eat low carb (well, basically — I eat Primal) as well, so I just make my muffins with Stevia. They are delish and only about 8-10 net carbs per serving, depending on the size of your bananas!.

11. Harmony says

I just made these and I think I must have done something wrong! They smell so yummy but turned out like wet sponges – maybe I needed more coconut flour (?) or maybe the 3 bananas I used was too many (?). The muffins didn’t rise at all, took way longer to bake, and were still soggyish (I know that is not a real word!). Any suggestions? I love the taste and would like to try it again!

Aw, bummer. Yes, maybe a little more coconut flour, or yes, maybe just 2 bananas instead of 3. Hope they work better next time!

Jessica Reply:

Mine were a bit like that, too. Next time I will try 2 bananas & possibly reduce an egg.

Stephanie Reply:

Mine are like soggy wet muffins too…my first attempt at coconut flour and disappointed.

Debbie Reply:

Yup, mine also. Since going vegan, I used chia seed/water replacement and may reduce that next time. I’m not ready to totally give up yet, so will try again reducing the amount of chia seed egg replacement I used as it was a pretty hefty amount and probably double or more in amount than the flour! ;-)

Erica Reply:

Mine didn’t turn out either – still wet after 20 minutes in the oven. I used three bananna’s and 3/4 cup coconut flour. Also – should the coconut oil have been melted? My batter had chunks of it in it. I added some mini-chocolate chips but I don’t think they made a difference. I’m so sad that 6 eggs have been wasted!!

I’m sorry you had trouble with this recipe. I’ve now edited the instructions to include that yes, the coconut oil works better if melted. And I changed the cook time on the instructions because while for some ovens, 17 minutes is long enough, some take as long as 25 minutes. Sounds like yours maybe needed a longer baking time. Sorry I wasn’t specific enough in my instructions!

Erica Reply:

No worries – I posted that too soon. I ended up leaving the muffins in the oven much longer and let them cool in the pan. I thought they tasted awesome (didn’t look that great) and was bumbed that my husband wouldn’t try them but nothing was wasted as I kept them in the frig and ate most of them! :-)

I was also wondering if your farm fresh eggs are smaller than the regular large eggs that I had from the grocery store. Maybe that is why they were still soggy after baking for 20 minutes.

The eggs are about the same size as store bought. Every oven is
    different though so that may be the problem! :)

Erin Turner Reply:

My muffins are a little more soggy than I anticipated as well. But I’m pretty sure it is because I used our own eggs which are HUGE! Next time, I’ll use 1-2 eggs less and slightly more cocunut flour! But the taste is incredible and I love the fact that I can use our own eggs and our own honey for this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

These sound good. I am going to bake some this morning but I am adding chocolate chips to them. Yummm…….. We are a split family some nutty some not and I mean that in the fullest sense in tastes and personality! ~grin~

Is there another sweetener I can use besides honey? I just got my coconut flour today and I can’t wait to try baking with it! Thank you :)

I think you should be able to substitute any kind of sweetener – mayple syrup, brown sugar, sucanat – I’ve not tried it though so I’m not sure if it will be a one-to-one substitution. If you sub brown sugar or sucanat, you may want to use a little less coconut flour.

14. Annie says

We are a learning to love nuts kinda family. I have never liked nuts much until I started chopping them pretty finely in my pampered chef food chopper (any like chopper would work). At first, I liked the nutty flavor and the health benefits but was not a big fan of a huge chunk of nut in my food. Now we all enjoy our baked goods with a lot of nuts and are less particular about them being small. It has taken us about two years to go from pecan dust to lots of all kinds of nuts. It has opened up a whole new world of flavors and textures. Admittedly, I love that we are all less “picky” in general.

15. Brigitte says

Hi Laura,

Can you utilize any other oil instead of coconut oil?

I don’t have any coconut oil but truely missing to eat real food I need all GF recipes. I haven’t found anything close to real or as I recall. Just learning how to use Coconut flour.. Realizing can’t use the same amount as for all purpose flour. Thank you for your time.

You can use butter instead and it will turn out great!

16. Kristin says

I made these muffins and added a bit of my own twist. I added some grated lemon and ginger to the muffin mix. I topped each with shredded coconut before popping them in the oven.

Thanks for the coconut flour inspiration! It always amazes me how far just a little bit of the flour goes! Happy baking!

17. Naomi says

Yum, I’m going to make these today, thanks for the recipes!!!

Have you ever tried ‘So Delicious’ Coconut milk? I switched to this milk quite a few months ago and I love it, I sub it in pancakes, waffles, cookies, etc. It doesn’t taste like coconuts, but it’s so much better for you than dairy milk, though my kids won’t drink it straight, they like regular milk. :) But I do sneak it into their baked goods and they never know! :)

Naomi Reply:

This milk is organic also!(all I buy is organic dairy milk also) It is fairly expensive, I can usually find it on sale at Safeway for $2.99 for a 1/2 gallon, which normally lasts me a week. :)

18. Mayira says

I made these for breakfast tomorrow. They look and smell so good.

Just wondering, when you make muffins a day ahead, how do you store them? I feel like I go through so many Ziplock bags, but I just don’t have time to make a fresh breakfast in the morning. Do you store them in the fridge or on the counter, and what do you put them in? Thanks.

Laura stores hers in the fridge in a ziplock bag that she reuses over and over.

I’m going to try these today (with nuts). I only have one ripe banana so I’m going to halve the recipe, which should be perfect since I’m only baking for two people :-)

I’ve been reading your site for a while and love it, but this will be the first recipe I try. I’ll let you know how they turn out!

Nicole Reply:

The muffins turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

20. Elisabeth Joy Brown says

If you don’t like nuts…try chocolate chips! I used Enjoy Life gluten-free chips and they were awesome! Who doesn’t love a banana chocolate chip muffin? Especially when they are healthy! Yay!

21. Susan says

I like nuts in my muffins BUT the heat damages their fragile oils so I started just adding chopped nuts to cream cheese frosting and frost my muffins. Or even stir into butter.

22. Lisa says

Can I use butter or veg oil instead of the coconut oil? I don’t have any of that on hand.
    Thanks!

I avoid using vegetable oil, so I’d say use real butter and these will be great!

23. Sheri says

We were unprepared for the AWESOME DELICIOUSNESS of these muffins! I used 3 bananas, 5 eggs, and added 1 tbsp of flax meal and some chocolate chips. Definitely took the 25 minutes to bake and I let them cool in the pan. They are very moist and heavy, good things in our book:)

Thanks for this recipe! I’ve been looking for low-carb, low-GI recipes due to my gestational diabetes. From the brief research I did on coconut flour, I think this recipe might fit the bill. :-)

25. Tanya says

After reading through a few recipes, and looking at all the “bad” comments on this recipe, I decided to go with my gut feel and tried it this morning.

I used 5 small eggs (fresh from our chickens ), 1 Tbs flax meal mixed with 3 Tbs water , 1/2 cup of dark 72 % chocolate chips, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 tsp cinnamon powder and used melted butter instead of coconut oil. Baked them for 30 mins.

WELL !!! They are the absolutely best muffins I have ever had. I was worried they would taste too eggy. They don’t ! They are really really good and I thank you for posting this recipe. Can’t wait for my kids to try them this morning.

26. Teresa says

VERY good recipe! I used 4 Jumbo eggs and 1 small egg so 5 total and 4 small bananas. Only other tweaking I did was to add 1/2 tsp vanilla. I have baked with coconut flour for a while now but this is one of the best recipes I have tried. Thanks!

27. Catherine says

I made these for my 12 month old and 3 year old. I left out the honey since babies shouldn’t have honey. It was sweet enough with the banana! My three year old willingly ate them and said they were really good! My 12 month old ate half of one and had a huge smile on her face and was so happy. She kept saying, “Mmmm Mmmm Mmm!” I thought they were really good too!

28. Anne says

Thank you for working out this recipe and then sharing it. I am going to make it immediately – those bananas I bought are very very ripe.

29. Leah says

My muffins didn’t turn out. I baked them 25 minutes and they look like odd-shaped lumps. They aren’t cake-like either and don’t taste very good. Not sure what went wrong. I followed the recipe EXACTLY with no additions or substitutions. Back to the drawing board….

30. Sarah S says

The good news is I found this recipe. The bad news is I found this recipe!! ;) These are delicious. Mixed in the blender as suggested and that worked great. I used three ripe bananas and added 1tsp of vanilla. FANTASTIC!

Sarah S Reply:

oh, and mixed in 1/4 cup of mini choco chips and
    put 1 & 1/2 chocolate chunks (3 half pieces) on top. :)

31. Karen says

These turned out nicely, and have a nice subtle sweetness. I like the moistness and always enjoy the texture of things made with coconut flour. I filled my muffin tins about half full, and not knowing how high they’d rise, I still had batter left, so ended up w/ 16 muffins that rose to the top of the tins. Perfect size for my small kids! I used only 2 large bananas. Great recipe.

32. Rachel says

Mmmm got these in the oven right now. I followed your recipe but left out the honey (used 3 largish RIPE bananas). I also left out nuts. I love nuts but am out ATM! ;) I’m very tempted to go sprinkle some chocolate chips on some after reading all the comments… Will reply after tasting- very excited!! My oven tends to take the full length of time recommended for any recipe, so I’m preparing myself for these to take slightly longer than the 25 minutes… But that’s my oven. We’ll see! Super excited for a protein-rich “bread” for my toddlers ;)

33. Hayley says

Does anybody know if blueberries folded into this recipe works?

Should work great!

Hi, Laura,
    I love love this recipe. I just bake them too. I add 1/2 cup TVP ( Textured Vegetable Protein) . It come out wonderful. Thank you so much. I would love to send you the picture my muffins.

35. Melisa says

Aloha Laura!

Just made your banana muffins and I was worried because the batter looked to loose. I mixed the batter on medium high speed for just two minutes and then added a cup of chopped walnuts. The batter was thicker and they came out beautiful!!

Thank you for this recipe!! Love it!
    Mahalo,
    Melisa :)

36. Jackie says

What happens if you don’t melt oil?

I always melt the oil to make it easier to stir in. I’m afraid it won’t mix well if not in liquid form. :)

37. Becca says

Definitely will be trying these. Do you think baking in a loaf pan would work? I’ll just watch and adjust time as necessary.
    Thank you so much for sharing your recipes!

I’ve never made these in a loaf pan, but I think it’s worth a try!