People can’t get enough of these butterscotch bars. They’re made with whole wheat flour but no one knows. They’re made with only five ingredients that you probably have on hand – so easy!
I originally posted this recipe in 2010, but decided to post it again for you today. Why? Because butterscotch bars. And also because I have only been home 3 of the past 11 days so I’m behinder than ever. While I play catch up and work on new projects (wait till you see!), I wanted to bless you a recipe so you could bless others.
You’ll be glad to know that this is a High Five Recipe! (High quality recipes + five ingredients or less = High Five Recipe)
This is not a Low Sugar Recipe, however. So make them to share with others, and saver them slowly (as opposed to gobbling down half the pan before you realize what happened).
Easy Butterscotch Bars
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1¾ cups sucanat or brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- Stir melted butter and sucanat together.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- Stir in flour and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
These bars are gooey, rich, and need I remind you to make them to share with friends?
Now that I’ve been making these butterscotch bars for so many years, I get frequent requests for them.
- “Laura, would it be too much for me to ask you to make a batch of your butterscotch bars for me for my birthday? Like very year for the rest of my life?”
- “Laura, my friends and I were talking about your butterscotch bars and now we want some. I told them I’d ask…can you make us a batch?”
- “How much arm twisting would it take for you to make another pan of your butterscotch bars?”
These requests make my day, and since the bars are so easy to make, I almost always say yes! If you haven’t tried these bars yet, do it. They’re crazy easy, but beware: people will beg you to make more. You’ll have more friends than you ever had before and everyone will love you for providing the butterscotch bars. It’s hard, but you can handle it.