Have I ever mentioned that we don’t have central air conditioning in our home? People think we’re crazy. Well, yeah. But there are a few important aspects to note about our variety of crazy - and about our lack of central air conditioning:
1. Our house is over 100 years old and was built to stay cool back before air conditioning was invented. We have high ceilings, which makes a significant difference.
2. We have an attic fan that sucks hot air out and pulls cool air in. (I believe I just told you that our attic fan sucks.)
3. When a person is used to air conditioning, a person tends to think they need air conditioning. When a person is not used to air conditioning, a person gets used to not having air conditioning.
4. I freeze to death when I go to Wal-Mart and other places with air conditioning and freezer sections. See #3 above.
5. We have several window air conditioning units. Remember this? Ain’t she a beaut? We haven’t even installed it this summer. We haven’t been home long enough to care. But we have that one, another for out guest room, and another for our boys room upstairs. Window units work great for our needs.
All that to say: I rarely turn our oven on during hot summer days. We typically deal with lack of air conditioning just fine – but avoiding the oven makes this much more doable. Baking muffins, quick breads, and egg casseroles is rarely an option. Instead, we stick with stove-top meals, toaster oven choices, or smoothies. Here are some of our favorite oven-free breakfasts, which of course can be made for lunch, snacks, or dinner too. Breakfast for dinner always rocks. Kind of like my attic fan sucks. (Oh, stop it.)
14 Oven-Free Breakfast Ideas for Summer
- Creamy Orange Cooler with scrambled eggs
- Crepes with lots of fresh berries and whipped cream
- Green Machine Milkshakes with toast and peaches or nectarines
- Fried eggs with Hashbrowns and strawberries
- Instant Oatmeal Packets with fresh berries
- Peanut Butter Pancakes with bananas
- Pineapple Mango Smoothies with cheesy scrambled eggs
- Quick Mix Pancakes with blueberries and Turkey Sausage
- Strawberry Yogurt Fruit Dip with apples
- Homemade Yogurt with fresh berries and toast
- Whole Wheat Donuts (special treat!) with peaches, nectarines, or plums
- Whole Wheat Waffles with fresh berries and whipped cream
- Cinnamon Apple Toast with scrambled or fried eggs
- Breakfast Burritos with grapes
It’s always fun to throw in the occasional bacon or sausage too, if I have time. Fresh fruit in the summer time is amazing. All the delicious berries, nectarines, plums, peaches, melons available – incredible. Yes indeed, summer time is my very favorite time of year – even without central air conditioning. :)