Buttermilk Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake

Say, would you like a little chocolate cake with that chocolate fudge frosting?  :)

This recipe is great because you can soak the flour to break down the phytates if you want.  Or if you don’t, that’s okay too.

Buttermilk Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups sucanat
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1/3 cup melted coconut oil or melted butter
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
Chocolate Fudge Frosting

If you choose to soak your flour, mix the 2 cups of whole wheat flour with the 1 1/3 cups buttermilk.  Cover and allow this mixture to soak overnight on the countertop.  Add remaining ingredients (everything but the frosting, that is) and bake as directed.

Otherwise…

Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.  Add eggs, oil or butter and buttermilk.  Mix with beaters until batter is smooth and well mixed.

Work very hard to avoid grabbing a spoon and eating the entire batter directly out of the bowl before it has been baked.

Butter two round cake pans or one 9×13 inch cake pan.

Bake round cakes at 350° for 25-30 or a 9×13 inch cake for 35-40 minutes.  OR, leave the cakes in the oven until a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean.  Every oven is different, right?

Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing them from the pans.  I used a butter knife to loosen the edges from the sides of the pan.  Place the cakes on plates.

Did I forget to mention that you would need some of this Chocolate Fudge Frosting?  Oh yes, you DO need a batch of this Chocolate Fudge Frosting.  Plop a nice amount of frosting on one cake and spread it around well.

Like this…

Carefully place the other layer of cake on top of the frosted layer.

Oh look…it’s a chocolate fudge sandwich!!

Plop another nice amount of frosting on top of the second layer.  Carefully spread the frosting over the top and sides.  This step is not very easy for me and I’m usually messy and have to lick my fingers.  Bummer.

All done.

Ah, a slice of chocolate heaven…

I will work (sometime within the coming months) to come up with a white cake and white frosting.  However, when you’re using whole wheat flour and sucanat, the results are not going to be white.  Anyone up for a Tan Cake?  Mmm, sounds good to me!

Get ready to share YOUR recipes Friday!!!  Can’t wait to see what you’re going to share!!!

Comments

This is a bad week to ask you questions, I think :>) but have you tried sprouting your wheat (especially now that you have a dehydrator)? I did it once, following the Cardamom’s Pod guest post at Kitchen Stewardship here) and it was very easy… doesn’t grinding that and using right away give you pretty much the same result as soaking?

2. mamma2j says

YUUUUUUUM!!! I can’t wait to make this cake! I just love this blog….I’ve been tryng new things almost every day – yay. And, I FINALLY found sucanat!! whoo hoo – if I like it I will prob order the next batch online to save $.

3. AmyR says

Thinking this may make a good Halloween treat for my family this weekend. Have never made a sweet treat using just whole wheat flour, so curious if anyone notices.

4. Carissa White says

How often do you usually make sweets for your family?

I love this recipe and will hopefully be making it soon.

5. Carmen says

Healthy chocolate cake? Seems like an oxymoron. But I think I’m going to have to find some sucanat – and soon!

6. Charlotte Moore says

Those cake layers really look moist!!! I need to try this. I am not much for chocolate on chocolate, but I think I could it plain while it is warm…..

I did make a chocolate zucchini bread this summer and it was yummy. I used whole wheat flour and sucanat.

7. Rhoda says

Anything chocolate, anytime–spells good to me. Thank you for healthier ways to eat it. Tan cake sounds good too!

8. Marbara says

My daughter is lactose sensitive – could this be made with rice/almond milk + vinegar?

Yes, I don’t know why not!

i’m making this today for my sons birthday. I see there is no salt needed. I’m going to use salted butter this time and try the recipe as is…but, is there supposed to be salt in the ingredient list? if so…how much

No salt needed, although your salted butter is fine to use!
    Hope your cake turned out yummy!

10. Brooke says

This looks good! I was just wondering if you had ever used any other types of whole grain flours. I like to use a variety of grains in my recipes if I can. I have used barley flour (from hulled barley, not the pearled kind)for many of my quickbreads. It seems to produce a lighter texture for me.

I don’t have much experience in this area, I almost always use whole wheat. A friend of mine is experimenting with other grains and has found that often her cookies are crumblier, but the recipe still tastes good!

11. Samantha says

So I have had this recipie for months now and made this cake two days ago and OH MY GOSH! My husband says this needs to be made weekly so he can lick the bowl and then indulge in this teriffic cake!

Sue Reply:

Since you have experience making this cake, have you tried any substitutions?

Have you tried honey or stevia? or flax seeds instead of eggs? Thanks!

Mine came out fine, even though I used nonfat dry milk and lemon juice instead of buttermilk. My cake looks slightly denser than yours, but it is definitely not hard to eat. The density could be from the wheat type and flour coarseness. I am making my flour by cracking whole wheat in my malt crusher and then grinding the cracked grain in my coffee grinder. The resulting uniformity leaves something to be desired. I have a grain mill on order, due to arrive soon. Hopefully that will improve my flour.

13. MUNA says

Amazing! I had no idea a chocolate cake could be made with freshly milled whole wheat flour. I cannot wait to try this.

14. Haley Larussa says

Yum! This looks SO GOOD! I cannot wait to try this. I was wondering if the butter instead of coconut oil would make a difference?

I think it should work fine either way!

15. Shalene says

Would it be possible to sub honey or maple syrup for the sucanat? And if so, I don’t suppose you’d know how much of either of those would be required? (I’ve seen exchange amounts for sugar to honey, but it seems like it would be REALLY complicated if not dealing with whole cups…) :)

Yes, I think I’d do 1 cup of honey to replace the sucanat.

16. Elizabeth says

Would this work for cupcakes instead??

Elizabeth Reply:

If so, would baking time and temp need to be adjusted? Thanks!

If you made them into cupcakes I would adjust the baking time but
    not the oven temp. Maybe try baking them for 18-22 minutes. I do think
    I would keep an eye on them though and stick a toothpick in the
    center when you think they are getting done just to be sure.

Yes, that should work just fine!

17. Mrs W says

I don’t have any sucanat yet. Is there a different type of sweetener that I can substitute okay? (real honey & regular white sugar)

You can substitute real honey or regular sugar just fine until you have
    sucanat.

18. Jenny says

Made this a couple of days ago! DELICIOUS!! One of my boys usually says he doesn’t like “the cake part of frosting” :) But, he loved this so much he wants to bake another to take to school for “Sample Day”
    I enjoy your recipes as I try to make my family’s diet more healthy one step at a time.

19. Jenna says

Hi.. I m wondering if it is possible to switch from using buttermilk to plain yogurt??

Thanks! :)

Yes, that would work!

I would love to try this, but I’m wondering what type of wheat you use for your flour. Hard White, or Hard Red, or Soft White?

Laura uses Hard White, but Soft would also work. :)

Stacey Reply:

Man, so bummed about that :( The only wheat I have available to me is har red wheat.

I mean hard red! Wish I could get a truckload of hard white!

You can use hard red, it just isn’t my favorite. :)

Stacey Reply:

I don’t know if it would be worth it. I’d hate to make a cake that just tasted “wheaty”.

22. Ashley says

This just wasn’t good for us. If I hadn’t put the peanut butter chips in it would have tasted pretty bad..I used whole white wheat flour. To me it just seemed to have to much flour. I don’t know. I used unsweetened cocoa I’m not sure if that made a difference or not.. I used regular milk instead of buttermilk to b/c in the comments it said that would be fine…it’s ok though I’ll just keep on trying to find the right chocolate cake recipe! The brownies were good though :)

23. julie m. says

How does the the soaked flour cake seem in comparison to the non-soaked? Which one is the picture above? Do you notice a difference in the moistness between the two? Thank you for the recipe!

The one in the picture is non-soaked. Typically, the soaked variety is a little more moist.

Made this cake and the fudge frosting for my husband’s birthday today, it was absolutely delicious! And my first successful from-scratch cake!

Just made this! It is wonderful, so nice to be eatting a cake that isn’t loaded with white sugar and flour. Thanks for the recipe. I appreciate your blog so much!

26. nancy haddon says

Mine turned out flat. Yours look nice and light, Laura. What did I do wrong? I used coconut oil and my pans are 9″. Were yours 8″? The frosting is delicious ( the kids and I licked the beaters and bowls), but we aren’t eating the cake until this evening. It looks delicious, just kind of flat. Any ideas?

I am wondering if they didn’t rise…was your baking soda/powder fresh? That has a huge effect on how well things will rise. I hope it still tasted delicious!

nancy haddon Reply:

Thanks for getting back to me. I remembered Laura once saying that if you don’t grind your own flour, it can be heavier so don’t use quite as much. I use King Arthur’s White Whole Wheat Flour because I don’t have a mill. and so I tried the cake again, using a little less flour, and success! It was delicious with the frosting, and a great feeling to have chocolate cake to feed my family that I didn’t have to cringe over the ingredients! :)

Oh good! I am so glad it worked out for you!