Hot pockets can actually be eaten cold. Who knew?
When I asked you what you needed in a packed lunch, this is what you told me:
- Quick and easy
- Can be eaten cold
- Hearty and filling
These Barbecue Beef and Cheese Hot Pockets are all that plus they are delicious. You can make them big or small, accommodating big or small appetites. They taste great hot or cold. You can make them ahead of time and pull them out as needed. They freeze well. What more do you need? Just the recipe I guess…
Barbecue Beef and Cheese Hot Pockets
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 batch homemade barbecue sauce (more if you like)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 batch whole wheat pizza dough
- Place stew meat and barbecue sauce in a skillet.
- Cook on low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked and tender.
- In the meantime, mix the whole wheat pizza dough and set it aside to rise.
- Once both meat and dough are ready, remove meat from the heat.
- Stir in cheese until it is melted.
- Divide dough into about 16 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a thin circle.
- Spoon meat mixture into the center of the circle, then gather up the edges of the dough and pinch to seal.
- Place pinched side down on a baking sheet.
- Once all dough is filled with meat, allow the pockets to rise about 15 minutes more.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 15-25 minutes or until pockets are golden brown.
This would be a great way to use up leftover roast beef. In addition, you can fill hot pockets with any variety of meats and cheeses. They are a great, versatile meal idea!
If you’re hitting the restart button with us this fall, I challenge you to find one recipe (maybe this Barbecue Beef and Cheese Hot Pocket recipe?) that you can make ahead of time and freeze. Having food prepared like this in the freezer is a life saver on busy days when you need a healthy meal quickly. You’ll find all of our Make-Ahead Meal recipes here.
Once you’ve completed the challenge, come back to this post and leave a comment letting us know what you made. Can’t wait to hear!